Friday, August 31, 2012

Potting Bench


Here is a more detailed post about my potting bench that I made with a free broken hutch for my Lowe's August project!

 I am a collector of stuff, not a hoarder, (yet), and I love a good bargain, especially if it is nature or garden related! I like to have things on hand when I am ready to be creative or do a project. Other than the Lowe's essentials, (paint, wood, peg board, tools), for the project, I already had everything I needed to decorate.

Here are some close-up shots of the potting bench with a few explanations about my project.

In case you can't read the picture caption it says, "Several years ago I had a large calendar on the refrigerator. Before I threw it away I ripped off the magnets. They were perfect for this project!" I try to reuse and recycle whenever possible!
The decorating items in this project were bought at Goodwill or at garage sales! A few items were purchased on sale a local vendor mall.

My 8x10 butterfly collage was attached to a .25¢ church rummage sale plaque with Modge Podge.

I bought a package of round cork plant coasters at Goodwill for .99¢ and attached one to the side of the hutch. In this picture you can see how long the magnets are! They are heavy duty too!

This sweet little bottle holder and the bottles were purchased at Logan Village Mall, a delightful vendor mall here in Noblesville,

as were the zinc Ball jar lids.
It was very difficult finding enough flowers for my bouquets due to plant damage from the extreme drought this summer.

The window, with the shelf, was purchased for $15.00 from a warehouse sale of a local business last year. I made the wreath from materials I already had on hand. The cute sign was given to be by a dear friend a few years ago!

This cute basket was on sale for $2.50 at the vendor mall and the peat pots were given to me by a sweet neighbor who is also a very dear friend! I am all set to grow a lot of new plants this winter with my indoor growing station.



Here is a little breakdown of cost on some of the items, (that I can remember). Most people probably don't care what I paid for these items, but it thrills me to make something so cute for so little money.

Again, don't forget to stop by  Lowe's Creative Ideas for more project inspiration!

5 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

The project looks adorable. You certainly have all the right skills to put this together.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You definitely have a gift for putting things together.

screendoorgirl3 said...

Wow! I love that wreath. I'm going to pin it and make one for spring. Thanks!

Rosemary said...

Robin what a wonderful potting bench somehow mine looks somewhat dirtier.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Robin, you killed it!! This looks fantastic. I love this idea. Great job.